Monday, October 1, 2007

Why do we always blame video games?

Alrighty then, I want to send a big thanks to all of you that commented. I loved reading what you all wrote. It gave me a great deal of reassurance.

Since I had such a big question last time I think I am going to write something a little lighter this time. Why do we always blame video games?

I remember when I was about five I begged and pleaded for my parents to get me a Nintendo. I wanted one so badly it drove me crazy. Then on Christmas morning it was there in all its glory, my SNES bundled with Super Mario All Stars. This special moment in time marked the beginning of my devotion to video games.

So why is it that my tender childhood memories have to get smashed by Jack Thompson and Hilary Clinton? My friends and I would spend so many hours playing Mario Bros. and other classics like Zelda. I grew up with games and yes as I matured I did play more violent games. Still I grew up to be a good sane person.

The problem is that most parents do not get video games. Games can offer great opportunities for children to learn. I am not just talking about educational games. If you have ever played a game like Zelda you will find that you are not just slashing enemies with your sword, you are solving puzzles and finding solution to problems. Games like the Sims have people think about what goes into building a house, or what a family needs to survive. Beyond just learning kids are also having fun which is what kids are supposed to do. Right?

Now I am not saying let a five year old play Resident Evil or just let kids play video games all day long. What I am saying is don’t blame a game for how kids behave. If parents take the time to pick out games with their kids and play them with their kids we would have way less confusion. The more parents understand games the less they will “fear” them.

When I see someone like Jack Thompson trying to ban violent games it drives me up the wall. Parents are the ones responsible for what their kids see, hear, and play. If we are going to ban violent games then every horror movie should be banned too. Hey why don’t we ban news as well, there is tons of violence in the news.

Parents need to talk with their kids and pay attention to what they are doing. It is as simple as looking at the game box “Oh, it says it is for people 17 and up. Guess I shouldn’t get it for my nine year old.” But then you get the whole my kid could just borrow the game from a friend. Well then you have the amazing power as a parent to GASP… PAY ATTENTION! Watch what your kids are doing (have the console in the living room)

I don’t know about the rest of you, but games are my escape. When life is just over-whelming I can pop in a game like Resident Evil and get away from it all. I have loved video games since the day I got my Nintendo and I will never stop loving games. I hope my own kids play video games just like I did as a child and create some awesome memories of their own.

So why blame video games when they have been so great. A game does not cause violence, but a lack of communication and understanding can.

No comments: